Monday, November 23, 2009

Little Boy, Where'd You get your britches ?









This page is my entry for this months challenge on a blog that I subscribe to and love ! The page requirements were as listed here:

1. Use orange and brown.
2. Use woodgrain.
3. Use fabric.
4. Use something with wings.
5. Use a toilet paper roll.
6. Use song lyrics in your title
 
 

I met these qualifications in the following ways....
 
Of coarse my paper choices were orange & browns and I used my Tim Holtz inks for distressing in Orange and Brown. Then I cut down a piece of 12x12 scrapbook paper to a 8 1/2 x 11 size so that I could run it thru my regualar printer and do journalling on it. This piece of paper was a piece of brown woodgrain which was requirement number two. 
 



For the using of a piece of fabric I really had a struggle. I used to be a quilter before I picked up scrapbooking so Im no stranger to fabric..I just hardly ever touch it now...and I dislike sewing in a major way ! (hehe) So to be sure I met the qualification I used a piece of fabric to roll up and make a stem for my flower. I just laid out a piece of fabric and snipped off a circle(-ish) piece and rolled it up into a tube shape and then used my Tim Holtz Mini Stapler to hold it together. I made the little leaves using scraps from the butterfly.



Next It asked for something with wings ! Yeah ! You know my new butterfly template came in handy here !
 




The template is now ready for purchase online at the Paperwishes.com site. It was designed by me and manufactured by Hot off the Press. It is a great template and for the few dollars you pay for it I think a great investement ! Butterflies are very popular on pages and it can be used to make so many different perfectly complimenting embellishments for all your scrapbook pages. It is availiable online also at HSN (the home shopping network)
 



I used the template as my "wing" thing for the challenge and also I made it with the unrolled piece of a toilet paper roll which was the next requirement for the scrapbook page. I just unrolled the roll by cutting thru it and mashing it down flat. It wasn't very pretty at this point ! So I ran this piece of "toilet paper roll" thru the cuddlebug inside a folder and it came out textured. Then I used my Tim Holtz ink and ran all over the new piece of textured paper and used orange and black ink for this to further meet the challenge.
 


I laid the Template over the "toilet paper roll" and marked it and cut it out. I used the edge distresser to run along the edges of the butterfly and then inked again with Tim Holtz inks. The part that I love about the butterfly is the anteana's on it.
When I make my butterflies I love for it to be a dimensional anteana so I am always looking for the perfect thing to use to make them and today I discovered the absolute perfect item !






I cut two pieces from a cluster of plastic flowers and it made these adorable little anteana's ! I love em ! I cant wait to use them again and again ! Im thinking you could dip them in some glue or spray them with sticky spray and you could make them all glittery and shinny Or you could use a majic marker and color them black. So cute !!! Just stick a sticky dot back behind the butterfly and slide them down in behind !

The final qualification was that the title be words from a song. I thought this would be harder than it actually was. I just got the new Droid phone from Verizon and it has an app on it that lets you click on it and from the push of a button you can find just about any song online for free ! You can then touch it to keep it on your phone as a full song or ringtone ! Loving the droid !!!!

So I searched for Britches (hillbilly for pants) and it came back with a little folk song titled "Little Boy, where'd ya get those britches" and I knew it was meant to be ! The photo is one I snapped of my son Mikey about two weeks ago in his first pair of "Big Boy" pants...the first pair that are a size in little boys and not in the toddlers ! "They look just like daddy's pants" he said.

So there ya go ! A page to enter and some cool techniques to share !

This is the link for the challenge and I gotta tell ya...its my first time entering a challenge....so if I win....I will let you know ! If I loose...I will post the page that beats me :) http://alacartechallenge.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

Billena said...

I keep coming back to this page it has so many cute embellishments on it that are just so cute and original. I love how you make most of your embellishments.

Billena said...

I just showed my Daughter this page because I told her to pull up her britches and she said mom you are so old school, no one uses that word, so I had to show her I wasn't the only one. I love how you did your butterfly out of a toilet paper roll. Kelly did this too, right? Anyway its such a cool page.