Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Making Birds & Butterflies using the Hot off the Press templates

While playing with the new
15 Butterflies & Dragonflies template that was recently released by Hot off the Press http://www.paperwishes.com/products/4007352
I came up with this new little butterfly & bird that are made from a couple pieces of paper towel sandwiched between two pieces of fabric.



It can be made with a scrap of paper that matches your page as well. The paper towel can be stacked thicker to make the butterfly or bird thicker and have a more dimensional look on your page. In my samples I have laid down a piece of paper towel and layered it so that it is three thick and then put a piece of fabric that matched my scrapbook page and made a little sandwich out of the five layers.  

For the next step I used the 15  Butterflies & Dragonflies template to draw out a butterfly on the top layer.


I used my sewing machine to very quickly stitch along the outer edge of the butterfly. I dont sew ! So no special sewing skills are needed here ! This doesnt have to be perfect and if you use a matching thread to the fabric it will blend in. In my sample I used a black thread for contrast just so that the camera could pick up on the sewing. I used scissors to snip into the threads as close as I could get without cutting them and then used my paper scraper  http://www.paperwishes.com/products/4000153
to run back and forth along the edge of the butterfly to rough up the paper towel and fray the fabrics. I also ran my Tim Holtz http://www.paperwishes.com/products/7506370000 ink along the edges of the butterfly to give it a prettier edge.


Hot off the Press has a full line of templates that range from circles to butterflies and they are very inexpensive and last you forever ! I posted a video on youtube of making the bird and butterflies so be sure to check them out ! I hope you love it !







No comments: